SWINDON Town director of football Tim Sherwood launched an expletive-laden half-time rant that led to him being handed a two-game stadium ban by the FA.

In written findings released by the Football Association’s Independent Regulatory Commission, Sherwood called match referee Mark Brown a “****ing mug” in the tunnel at half-time during Town’s 1-0 defeat to Bury on February 11.

Swindon’s director of football, who had been watching on at Gigg Lane from the directors' box, was left irate following a first-half penalty decision that proved costly in the loss to their fellow League One strugglers at the time.

The report says that Sherwood was acting in an aggressive manner towards Mr Brown, including pointing in his face and, having been told by the matchday official that he would be sent to the stand for the second half, Sherwood replied: “I wasn’t even in the dugout, you ****ing mug, and you would be doing me a favour”.

Sherwood, whom the report noted had no previous disciplinary issues, was subsequently charged with misconduct in relation to the comments made and was fined £2,000, and handed a two-game stadium ban after accepting the charge.

In making their decision, the FA’s members decided that the incident was of a serious nature due to the clear lack of respect shown by Sherwood to Mr Brown, walking away from the referee, and the prolonged and repeated use of the abusive words and behaviour.

Swindon won both fixtures in the 48-year-old’s absence, a 3-1 success away to Coventry City followed by a win by the same scoreline at home to Gillingham.

Sherwood could have have been handed a touchline ban but commission members felt that given his role at the club as director of football, a stadium ban was the most suitable sanction.

In the wake of the trip to Bury, it was also revealed by head coach Luke Williams that the former Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa manager had taken a step back from the day-to-day running of the team to focus on other aspects of the club.

Mr Brown’s report of the incident stated: "After the half-time whistle, and as I was walking down the tunnel, Tim Sherwood of Swindon Town approached me and said: “you’re the only ****er in the ground that’s ****ing seen it, you ****ing mug.

"He then started pointing aggressively in my face. I told him to calm down and stop pointing at me or he would be sitting in the stands for the second half.

"He then continued: “I wasn’t even in the dugout, you ****ing mug, and you would be doing me a favour”.

"I told him I wanted to speak to him at my dressing room but he ignored me and walked off towards the Swindon changing room.

"I followed him and stood outside, and told the coaching staff I wanted Mr Sherwood to come outside as I needed to speak to him.

"After approx(imately) 45 seconds, Mr Sherwood walked out and walked past me, and I informed him that he would be reported for his comments towards me. His reply was: “**** off, you mug”.

“I then entered my dressing room area and informed the stewards of my decision, and that if Mr Sherwood tried to come down into the technical area, he should not be allowed."

Town, who acknowledged that Sherwood had accepted the charge and served his ban, declined to make a further comment regarding the matter.

Meanwhile the FA will not take any further action against either Town or Oxford United over incidents at the end of the U’s 2-1 win at the County Ground last month.